Ten Good Reasons for Adopting an "Older" Dog
1. Older dogs are housetrained.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chew your
shoes and furniture while growing up.
3. Older dogs can focus better because they're mellower.
Therefore, they learn more quickly than puppies.
4. Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they haven't
learned it, they don't get to be "older" dogs.
5. Older dogs settle in more easily, because they've learned
what it takes to get along with others and become part of a
6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their
new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance
they've been given.
7. What You See Is What You Get: Unlike puppies, older dogs
have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow
up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car
trips, and other things you like to do.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't
make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that
puppies and young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they're
accustomed to human schedules and don't need nighttime
feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.
Adapted from material distributed by Labrador Retriever Rescue, Inc.
Contributed By Karen Derrico - Founder of May Day for Mutts